03 May How Many People Have Herpes?
With so much confusing information online regarding the herpes simplex virus, consumers are becoming increasingly confused about herpes treatment options. One of the most popular questions about herpes is, “How many people have herpes?“, and considering how important the answer is, this should be no surprise. The prevalence of the herpes virus affects both infected and uninfected individuals. Uninfected men and women need to know the chance that their sexual partners have herpes while infected people might find comfort in knowing that they are not alone. Herpes is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases in the US — and the majority of infected individuals are not aware that they have even contracted the virus.
Popular Herpes Treatment Question: “How Many People Have Herpes?”
“How Many People Have Herpes: Fast Facts
- 16.2%, or one out of six, people ages 14 to 49 is infected with HSV-2, the virus that causes genital herpes
- Of those infected, 90% are unaware they have the virus
- Genital herpes is highest among African Americans with a 39.2% positivity rate
- In the past 10 years, the percentage of U.S. citizens with genital herpes has remained stable
How Many People Have Herpes: Men vs. Women
- One in nine sexually active men, ages 14 to 49, has genital herpes
- One in five sexually active women, ages 14 to 49, has genital herpes
- 48% of African American women are infected with the HSV 2 virus
Herpes transmission is more common from an infected man to his female partner than an infected woman to her male partner. Due to anatomical differences, women are more susceptible to contracting genital herpes.”
If you have contracted the herpes virus, know that you are not alone. Around one in six people ages 14-49 is infected with HSV and effective herpes treatment options are available. Do you think your friends ever ask themselves, “How many people have herpes?” — give them the answering by clicking the LIKE button below.